Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Text Messages, Apps and QR Codes

I remember getting excited in the early 2000's when I found out I could get sports updates via text messages to my cell phone. I spent hours signing up for all my favorite sports teams. On average I would receive 10-50 text messages a day with breaking news or every time my favorite football team scored. As technology has progressed applications (apps) have taken over the majority of how I receive information, both in sports and even with news. On my phone at this time I have seven different sports apps. One collects all the tweets from players, coaches and journalists for the NFL, NHL and NCAA football. Two of them are apps that I use for my fantasy sports teams. Two others are getting updates on scores for the various sports I follow and the final two are direct links to my favorite baseball team and my favorite NFL teams ranking and schedules.

Another thing that I have enjoyed in the last few years that has still kept text messaging relevant for me has been using certain apps to do group texting. I use this with several friends to discuss sporting news and often to argue which teams are better than others. It has been a fun way to have a group discussion via text messaging. The two I have used for this are Group Me and Google Voice but there are several other options. Here is an article that goes over the top 5 of these applications.

Another app that has taken the technology and advertising worlds by storm is the use of QR codes. Like a barcode it stores information that can instantly be uploaded to your phone. I have seen several local businesses in Logan, Utah take advantage of the QR codes. For example. Lebeau's has a QR code on the wall at every table in their restaurant. If you upload the information each one is a different business that is advertising their products or services. Marketers, advertisers and PR pros are continually helping to write the book as to how to use QR codes and what to avoid. Here is an article explaining this point. I have seen QR codes on head stones, I have seen them in random shapes of different companies logos but they all have two things in common. They store information and they are a risk when downloading it to your phone. As with any technology hackers and people who enjoy destroying things use technology to send viruses and corrupt programs that can cripple your phone or computer. When scanning a QR code, you are taking a risk that it is malicious, so be careful!

2 comments:

  1. At 15 years old and getting a text was the best thing in the world. Now I complain that I'm too connected. Oh the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide how I feel about automated texting.. It can be nice especially for deals but sometimes it get's obnoxious, especially if you have to reply STOP more than once.

    ReplyDelete