Monday, November 16, 2009

2300 PR Thoughts

A press release does not have a specific guidline that you have to follow 100 percent. There is a format, and common sense information.  Establishing what, when, where, why, and how if necessary. Beyond this, it is up to you to spice your release up in a way that grabs someone's attention.  Some releases that I have read have done this, most have not.  It is simple, we live in a fast world.  Quicker is better in many cases.  Take the time to make your press/news release worth reading.  Quality is more important than quickness, however it is possible to do quality work in a fast manner.

The other day I was reading through some sports news releases, I came across one that caught my eye. It said, "Santa Runs For Courage Center December 5."  Santa run, yeah I would like to hear about this. I click on it, and immediately I am not impressed.  The format was horrible, you can tell whoever published it did not care about the event. There is such great potential with a topic like this.  It is a 5k run, or a 1k elf walk.  An elf walk, what is it? Do you dress up like an elf? Do you walk like an elf? Is it for shorter people?  It never explains it. 

Make your release clear, concise, and professional. Get on the internet, read press releases, take notes on the ones that catch your eye.  For reference purposes here is the link of the press release I talked about. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/santa-runs-for-courage-center-december-5-70214737.html

No comments:

Post a Comment